Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:49:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: System unique identifier.....

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> > > Doesn't /boot/[defaults/]loader.conf[.local] qualify as persistent
> > > data storage?
> >
> > There is little or no chance that the loader will gain the ability to
> > write back to filesystems.  Some of them don't support it (eg.
> > iso9660), others may not (TFTP, NFS), and the code required for some of
> > them (especially UFS) would be problematically large.
>
> That's not quite true. It wouldn't be too hard to modify existant files,
> but writing new ones/truncating would take a lot of work. It's still not
> a great idea to try to use a file on the FS for storage of persistent
> data. Wouldn't it be possible to have the kernel itself read in persistent
> data (in some form such as getenv?) to be written to disk? That way, the
> boot loader could pass it easily, and not have to worry about storage.

This may sound like a heresy to you, but... Why don't use the Forth blocks
for that? They were invented for that purpose. We can create the files
beforehand (under normal OS operation), then from the bootloader we can
read and modify them - I suppose writing to a disk block is much easier
than through the filesystem layer...

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------