Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:10:04 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> > I disagree.  Just because some are ISA doesn't mean that all are ISA.
> > Also, this makes it harder (not eaiser) to support CardBus in the
> > future.
>
> I disagree 3.0-RELEASE style. ISA device, shuld be attach as ISA
> device. PCI PCIC, like CardBus controller, shuld be attach as PCI
> device. It should be separate PCIC core code from bus depend and
> bus independ.

PCICs are bridges, not devices.  Treating a PCIC like an ISA device is
a bad idea for many reasons.  It's an error to confuse the physical and
logical interfaces to a device.

> CardBus support, we are planning on newconfig Project in near
> future. Bus independ code is necessary. So, we use NetBSD(4.4BSD)
> style bus and device configuration code.

... despite the fact that we have a clear roadmap which does not
include the 'newconfig' model, is notably superior, and has already
been deployed.

If you really hope for your work to be relevant to FreeBSD in general,
*please* spend some time to acquaint yourselves with the directions
we're already taking.  Much of the work that you still have to do on
the newconfig stuff has already been done.  Much more that newconfig
doesn't address has also already been done, and in a fashion much more
consistent with established interfaces (cf. the vnode interface).