Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Patrick S. Gardella" <patrick@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Shaun Dwyer <sldwyer@bigpond.com>
Cc:        tdwyer@bigpond.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: LCD driver port (Linux -> FreeBSD) needed for car-mp3 player

Shaun,

I looked at the Cajun pages.  Very nice little box!

As far as the LCD, you don't need a "driver" for it, since it uses either a
serial port interface or and i2c interface.  For the serial port, you can use
whatever language you want to connect to it and talk to it.  (Assuming you are
referring to the Matrix Orbital LCDs mentioned on that page.)

Patrick

On 26-Apr-01 Shaun Dwyer wrote:
> Hi everyone..
>
> I have a PC in the boot of my car running Linux (yuck!!!!) to play mp3s.
> I would love to use FreeBSD instead of Linux for many reasons.
> The only thing stopping me using FreeBSD is the lack of a driver in the
> style
> implemented for Linux (provides a /dev/lcd that u just throw data at).
>
> The reason I need this driver to be ported is so I can use Cajun
> (cajun.sourceforge.net)
> with little or no modifications on FreeBSD.
>
> If I knew C, i would port the driver myself, and If i knew perl, I would
> mod
> cajun to use  /usr/share/examples/ppi/ppilcd.c's stuff.
>
> The linux driver is available at:
> http://www4.infi.net/~cpinkham/cajun/code/lcd-0.2c.tar.gz
>
> If you want to see some photos and a bit of a description of my mp3
> player, goto
> http://members.nbci.com/mp3zeus/
>
> BTW, please email me directly, as I am not subscribed to the mailing
> list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shaun
>

> --