Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 20:47:24 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <nb@ravenbrook.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Richard Brooksby <rb@ravenbrook.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Ravenbrook System Administrators <sysadmins@ravenbrook.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4 kernel configuration not automatically saved

At 2000-04-03 18:45:49+0000, Doug Barton writes:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Richard Brooksby wrote:
>
> > We're setting up a machine to run FreeBSD 3.4.  Until now we've been
> > running FreeBSD 2.x on various machines.  We've noticed that the
> > kernel configuration (UserConfig, enabling/disabling device drivers
> > with "boot -c") doesn't persist between boots.
> >
> > Is this deliberate?
> >
> > If so, what is the approved way to save the configuration?  (I
> > couldn't find anything about this in the handbook.)
>
>       You apparently missed the well documented section of the handbook
> on compiling a custom kernel. :)

But seriously, it seems that adding "kget /boot/kernel.conf" somewhere
near the end of /etc/rc would revert us to the former behaviour of
FreeBSD (namely, that changes in UserConfig would get saved if the
boot completed successfully).  Sure, we can add this to rc.local, but
why isn't it in rc?

The current behaviour is not (a) well-documented, (b) intuitive, or
(c) in accordance with the user interface (UserConfig says "save and
exit").  I can understand a rationale for it, but I still don't like
it much.

Nick B