Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:30:15 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shells/bash-4.0 port horribly broken

--Sig_/E2Hd0ijsHgxnUY5CXO.uHcO

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:48:09 +0100
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:

>>> Update: After a recent ports tree update bash now builds correctly
>>> here.
>>
>> The update still remains broken:
>>
>> [fooman@portjail ~]$ pkg_info
>> bash-static-4.0.10_1 The GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell
>>
>> [root@portjail ~]$ set -x
>> [root@portjail ~]$ echo $(uname)
>> -bash: command substitution: line 25: syntax error near unexpected =20
>> token `)'
>> -bash: command substitution: line 25: `uname)'
>
>I also find this rather annoying.  I believe that a rather large =20
>percentage of people use bash as their default shell, so moving from =20
>3.2 to 4.0 should have been preceded by a headsup or an entry in =20
>UPDATING.

I am having the exact same problem. Several of my scripts are now
failing. I have modified a few with the older "`" tic method to make
them work; however, I feel that the easiest thing would be to simply
revert to Bash-3.

Was this some sort of 'improvement' by the Bash developers, or is it an
un-squashed bug?

--=20
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com