Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:46:29 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE Now Required?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:58:15PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> While trying to build RELENG_6 I receive this error:
>
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 142: warning: "MAKEFLAGS= CPUTYPE=pentium
> /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make  -f /dev/null -m /usr/src/share/mk -V
> CPUTYPE" returned non-zero status
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 144: CPUTYPE global should be set with ?=.

You *most definitely* have CPUTYPE defined somewhere.  There is no
default make.conf, and the example make.conf in /usr/share/examples/etc
does not define CPUTYPE=pentium anywhere.

The error is telling you that you should use CPUTYPE?=processor, not
CPUTYPE=processor.

> I've never set CPUTYPE in the past.  I don't want specific CPU
> optimizations as I am building for multiple generations of processor.
>
> What is a person to do?

If you've tinkered with make.conf at all, you may have some quotation
madness going on there which is running amok.  Regardless, this very
much looks like an issue specific to your system.