Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:24:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Saekow Apitep <apitep@cs.latrobe.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need your help, Sir.

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Saekow Apitep wrote:

> > 1.  Set an IRQ for this device in BIOS Setup.
> Do you mean I have to press "del" to set up IRQ in BIOS?
> If so, could you please tell me exactly how to set an IRQ for this
> device in BIOS?

Yes.  However, not all BIOS setups have the ability to set IRQs for
specific slots.  The only one I know if is Phoenix BIOS v4.0x (the one in
this box).

> > 2.  put '-v' on the Boot: prompt, obtain the IRQ and port address of the
> > card, and give that to the ed0 device.
> Do you mean after I boot the FreeBSD bootdisk?
> If so, could you give an example how to do this?
> this is like the following?
>
> Boot: -v <here, how to obtain the IRQ and port address????>

Just -v.  Note the information you get for the device (use scroll-lock and
up arrow) and post it.

> > I think.  2.2, I believe, has a smart ed device driver that can probe the
> > PCI bus as well.
> >
> > > The card works excellent with Microsoft windows(3.11,95,NT) ,and being used
> > > by IRQ 11 and I/O address 1000-101F under Win95.
> >
> > You gave this info to the ed0 device in -c, right?
> What do you mean by "-c" here?

UserConfig, ie, put -c on the Boot: prompt to enter the device config
editor.

> If it is hard to explain everything here, could you please tell me where I
> can get more information about setting up a network card on FreeBSD?

Well, you have a special situation in that you have a PCI NE2000 card.
They are normally ISA cards.