Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:43:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't record hifi audio on with sox on -stable

So to make a short story:

- 16 bits recording is broken (i.e. no input) in the pcm driver for
   4-stable

- overruns shouldn't occur in most recent builds

I'll update my tree and try the latter. And wait for the former to happen
automagically. ;)

Seriously, this card has been working fine under 3.4-stable for a good
while. It broke only when switching to 4.1-release
(panic! kern/21438). This would be logical since the pcm driver has been
re-written in the 4.x serie (see pcm manpage).

Can I expect it to be working at all in a near futute? I guess I should
talk to the maintainer. Wouldn't it be possible to reuse some code from
the voxware driver here? :) voxware-voxware! This is going to haunt us for
a while..

This is something I really need to get done here, because I'm kinda shamed
to reboot into windoze each time I want to do recording sessions.  And
since I'm currently porting ecasound (multi-tracker for unix), I would
really like to see this working...

Thanks to all of you.

A.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> On Tue, 24-Oct-2000 at 23:43:39 -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have submitted a follow-up on my previous pr (kern/21438) concerning
> > 4.1-rel here but it might have been considered rude by some so I will
> > start a fresh new thread with this since (1) a new release is coming
> > (yay) and (2) I do not seem to be the only one having audio problems with
> > -stable. A search on the freebsd.org engines does not yield any result for
> > "record overrun" (my problem).
> >
> > Ok here we go.
> >
> > Testing are all made with "rec" from the sox (12.16) package. Recording
> > first a simple file (8000 Hz, 8 bits, mono) works correctly. If I switch
> > to 16 bits, the recorded file is just empty (i.e. no sound at all). Trying
> > now 22050 Hz at 8 bits, mono: working correctly.
>
> 16 bit recording with the AWE is broken in the pcm driver. It even
> announces it correctly that it does only AFMT_U8 but most programs
> ignore that.
>

> > Now trying 44100 Hz at 8 bits, mono gives me:
> >
> > pcm0: record overrun, dumping 44500 bytes
> > [...]
> >
> > (about 1 warning/second) And the sample is just 8192 bytes big. CPU usage
> > also gets really high (almost 100%). Same with 16 bits recording at
> > 44100Hz, mono.
> >
> > Doing the same in stereo yields the predictable result:
> >
> > pcm0: record overrun, dumping 89212 bytes
>
> These went away here after doing a kernel rebuild a few days ago.
>

> > which is vaguely the double of mono recording overruns.
> >
> > So that's about it. The message comes from line 577 in file
> > /sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c. I do not understand clearly what could be
> > the problem here.
> >
> > The sound card is a AWE32:
> > sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x300-0x301,0x388-0x38b irq
> > 9 drq 0,5 on isa0
> > pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0
> >
> > It's odd, however, that drq 0 thing... The system is a 4.1.1-stable dated
> > on 2000.10.17.
>
> I have:
>
> sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
> pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0
>

> > Playing hi-fi doesn't yield the same problems, on the first look, this
> > might be because it's using the other drq setting (???).
> >
> > So that's about all I can think of now, please send in any comments or
> > ideas regarding this.
>
> The only idea I have is that I want my voxware driver back :-(
>
> 	-Andre

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora