Date:      13 Oct 2001 18:39:39 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strike three, you're out

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net> writes:
> Perhaps the analogous solution is to be more careful about the use of
> printf() in the kernel?  Perhaps a similar approach as is used in
> userland signal handlers should be taken, where a flag is set and later
> the printf() is performed conditional on the state of the flag?

I think the correct approach would be for printf() to store the
printed text in a circular buffer if it detected that printing it
would cause a locking violation, and for some other part of the kernel
to check and empty the circular buffer regularly, in a safe context.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org