Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 17:03:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        marcellov@VNET.IBM.COM (Marcello Vitaletti)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DOS FS fails during install from DOS

I had EXACTLY this problem

the DOS filesystem code seens unable to handle SOME dos
filesystems.
it seems that if the  filesystem is created in just the wrong way,
it all fails on SOME files.

can you send:
1/ The Bios geometry used on the drive
 (use boot -v to see it if you can't get it any other way),
(and scroll-lock -up-arrow to get back to see it again afte the menu
has appeared)

2/ whether or not you get a message fromthe dos filesystem saying:
"Warning: {something } is not a multiple of {something}"

n My case the geometry was 64heads/63sectors
and I saw that error message.
I'm trying to find a common point..

> I have a VERTOS atapi CD-rom on a secondary IDE port (170h Irq 15).
> That CD-ROM does not work under FreeBSD so I tried DOS installation instead.
> The system is a 486 DX4 (100Mhz) with VLB bus, 2 IDE HD's on primary IDE
> (WD 850Mb + WD 200Mb) while the secondary IDE is for the CD-ROM.
> There is a primary DOS partition of 250 Mb where I xcopy'ed the FreeBSD files
> from the CDROM (C:\FREEBSD\FLOPPIES, C:\FREEBSD\BIN, etc...).
> After booting (either from DOS or from the boot-floppy) and having completed
> all the path along the "NOVICE" installation, I select the installation media
> to be the DOS partition, after which:
>
>    -- initial phase before accessing data from C:\FREEBSD seems perfectly OK,
>    -- checksum errors are then reported as soon as C:\FREEBSD\BIN data are
>       first accessed... every other DOS file then causes errors during read.
>
> I tried many different things, like NOT mounting the DOS partition during
> disk LABELling phase, or just the opposite, or activating/deactivating
> IDE block-transfer mode in the board and IDE adapter BIOS, without success.
>
> Also, although I have a modem-adapter installed as port 3E8 Irq 5, as
> supposedly defined in the FreeBSD kernel, this device is never detected.
>
> Could the Soundblaster 16 (IDE) card (no CD-ROM) be causing troubles?
 no it's the DOS filesystem code that's screwed up :(