Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:20:39 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        dg@root.com, tqbf@pobox.com
Cc:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Allen Smith), njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, dima@best.net, security@FreeBSD.ORG, abc@ralph.ml.org, tqbf@secnet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

> for granting access to privileged resources and capabilities. I think the
> best way to handle this, however, is with a file ACL mechanism that allows
> for the specification of privileges as and extension of the access control
> information. On the other hand, in VMS, special privileges can be granted to

Of course, this implies that all permissions can be represented in
the filesystem.  I can imagine a /dev/socket/inet/xyz mechanism which
allows a process to bind to a specific port or /dev/raw which allows
them to create a raw socket etc etc.  This gets somewhat messy for the
above example since it is difficult to administer things like ranges
(eg ports 0 to 1024) using a single device file for each element in that
range, and any other approach (e.g. /dev/socket/inet/0-1024) seems to
lose the cleanliness offered by the "single file for everything" approach.

Niall