Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:06:12 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

Moved to -chat.

Tani Hosokawa writes:
>From what I understand, it's going to be GPL'd.

Oh? Where did you hear that?

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/may/xfs.html says:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,0-36807,00.html?st.ne.ni.lh says:
> While SGI's announcement will come tomorrow, the
> software itself won't be available for download
> until the summer. SGI still is deciding how to
> structure the open source license, the company
> said, though it is sure to meet the requirements of
> the Open Source Definition, a spokesman said.

While the above are liberally sprinkled with the word, "Linux", the SGI
press release does not say XFS is being contributed to Linux, but "to
the Open Source Community." Big difference. The news article appears to
have taken liberties attributing XFS to Linux as it was announced at a
Linux show. You know the media can't tell the difference between
FreeBSD, Linux, Macintosh, and Chernobyl. :-)

When its released and when the details of the license are published,
then there may be a race to see who can implement it in Linux and the
BSD's first. However I suspect SGI has people implementing it in Linux
this very moment and will run under Linux the instant it is publicly
released.

I have used SGI's XFS for several years and been quite happy with it.
So happy I got lazy and quit making separate root, var, and usr
filesystems. (SGI ships Irix that way too). Three years, 30 systems,
the only filesystem loss was when somebody yanked a SCSI cable on an
active disk THEN plugged it back in hot.

Then again I haven't run that many FreeBSD systems but have a similar
track record with filesystems. Prior to March 1995 I ran Linux until it
ate my filesystems 3 times in one week. Never could get Linux running
well enough to do any work. First week with FreeBSD was rough. But
clear sailing and all smiles ever since.

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Morten Seeberg wrote:
>
> > I read that SGI donated some Jornalised Filesystem Source Code to the Linux
> > Project, would this information not help the FreeBSD Project achieve these
> > features also?
> >
> > Is it even legal to use it, they might have donated it entirely for the
> > Linux project of course.

Anything released for Linux is usable in FreeBSD. Its just that it has
to be kept separate so those working on it know the terms. And those
using FreeBSD for special purposes know they may be obliged under GPL
to ship certian sections of source code with their product.