Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 07:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot problem

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Brian Candler wrote:

> PROMISE EIDE2300 external BIOS V2.4
>

> Unfortunately the system was bought second-hand and I don't have a manual
> nor utilities disk for the controller, so don't know how to go about
> disabling its BIOS. If anyone has got FreeBSD to work with this card,
> please let me know how.

I recently installed the Promise EIDE 2300 PLUS (for VESA local bus).
Works fine here. You will however have to disable the Ext BIOS at JP3,
moving the jumpers to the bottom pins:

	top of card (JP3)
        -----------
	o  o  o

	o  o  o
	|  |  |   disabled Ext bios
	o  o  o

It's also suggested that you disable the LBA Mode Select at JP1:

	top of card (JP1)
	-----------
	|  disabled LBA Mode Select

I changed the jumpers, and popped in the card. It worked from the start
with no problems or complaints. Which is good, since I installed Fbsd
on some other controller card. I thought switching to the 2300+ might
trash everything, but no, works fine.
Let me know if you need any other details on the 2300+. I have the users
manual close by.

By the way, the disk utilities are not useful here. Supplied drivers
are for DOS, NT, netware, OS/2, and two unix drivers called 'driver.att'
and 'driver.sco'.

> Brian.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com