Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:42:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>
To:        a.reilly@lake.com.au, gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: My "benchmark" ...

Andrew,

> > here is my promised "benchmark".  This is my real application that I
> > am working on that creates thousands of objects from data received
> > over the net and also from a local data base, using XML encoding of
> > objects.  I have written a JNI wrapper around GDBM since I didn't know
> > that w3c's Jigsaw project brought forth a 100% pure Java "jdbm"
> > class. So, now I have the option of both, native GDBM or 100% pure
> > Java.
>
> I don't know enough of the Java thing to know whether this is an
> option for you, but have you tried benchmarking a version
> compiled natively with the Cygnus gcj (or egcs) compiler?

I would love to and I am looking forward that gcj is in a state where
it is useful.  Currently, however, gcj is still behind Java 1.1, which
makes it useless for any more serious Java application project.  I am
a little worried, since I have not seen a lot of progress announced
for gcj since last year.  May be I was too far detached, but I hope
it's developers won't run out of energy before we all see the glory
and performance of their work! IMHO, gcj is definitely the way to go
in the future.

regards
-Gunther

Gunther Schadow ----------------------------------- http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
1001 W 10th Street RG5, Indianapolis IN 46202, Phone: (317) 630 7960
schadow@aurora.rg.iupui.edu ---------------------- #include <usual/disclaimer>