Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:09:28 +0000
From:      Julian <jmw@ptolserv.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation on a Thinkpad 750

Hi,=20

I have the 4.4 CD set, and I am trying to install on  an elderly
Thinkpad 750 (486SL/33, no CDROM drive). Unfortunately, I am having
problems (and there don't seem to be any solutions listed on the
freebsd site):

I created the three boot disks (for a subsequent install using ftp
over PLIP), and then tried booting from the first
(Kernel). This stops almost immediately with the following messages:

Disk error 0x4 (lba=3D0c38)
Disk error 0x4 (lba=3D0c38)
No /boot/loader

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

Disk error 0x4 (lba=3D0c38)
No /kernel

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

and then sits waiting for input. I know that the thinkpad has a
strange floppy interface (you need a "floppy=3Dthinkpad" parameter to be
able to boot with a Linux boot disk). Is there an equivalent way to
specify this on FreeBSD?=20

I have tried recompiling a kernel on my desktop installation
(and transferring it to the floppy) with the extra flags on the floppy
and keyboard interfaces that seem to refer to thinkpads, but this
doesn't seem to have helped either.

The floppy disk (pre-modification) booted happily on desktop machines,
so I don't think it is a problem with the floppy itself. It is also
readable on the FreeBSd desktop machine

Looking at the boot floppy, there appears to be a configuration file
for the loader, is there a parameter that I need to add here?=20

People seem to have been able to run earlier (3.x??) versions on
TP750s, so has something been removed/changed perhaps?

Thanks for any help you can offer.=20

-Julian
(I also tried asking in c.o.fb.misc, but no one seems to know the
solution there either!)

--=20
Julian Wald