Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 08:22:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape, 3.x, and -DWANT_AOUT

Nik Clayton wrote:

> How do,
>
> Am I right in thinking that before I can run Netscape 4.x on a FreeBSD
> 3.x system, that system must have been compiled with "-DWANT_AOUT"?
>
> Or does ports/www/netscape46-navigator work on a wholly Elf system?

Hi Nik,

I have been sort of waiting for someone to answer that. I am running
3.2-stable and I didn't use "-DWANT_AOUT" in the buildworld. There are
somethings that need "compat22" and I don't have that in my kernel
either. I am also using Netscape 4.6. This all makes me wonder why they
work. Being from the old school that doesn't fix something that isn't
broken, I figured that someone would popup with a problem and I would
learn when either or both was needed. I definitely believe in Murphy's
Law's but I also believe a system will fail for me before it will fail
for other people. So, I am sitting here wondering why for a change
<grin>.

BTW, mergemaster is a wonderful tool. I tried doing the diff thing from
your buildworld write up but they were changing the system faster than I
could upgrade it. There was something that didn't quite work right on my
system during the transition from 3.1-stable to beta to 3.2-stable and I
couldn't keep up. You have this "kind of" broken system and you don't
know what these change were fixing and had to try them. Someone
eventually told me about mergemaster and I found that I had a life
again. What ever was broken was magically fixed at 3.2-release + 1 week.

Kent

> --
>  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
>  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
>  the links.
>     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA