Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:53:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiler problems

> Quite frequently, particularly when compiling a large program with quite a few
> included modules, I get random assembler errors. Running the make again
> works fine.
>
> Is this a memory or swap space problem? Its beyond annoying.
>
> Dennis

 Gcc isn't all that great at ensuring the ASM source is
actually written to the temp directory.

 If your temp directory is full, gcc blindly goes ahead and
"writes" the file - not checking return codes... closes
the file and then calls the assembler.... The assembler only
gets partial sources... and thus, produces an error.

 I believe you can instruct gcc to use a different temp
directory - or perhaps the -pipe option (which pipes the
output of the compiler to the assembler) would be a work-around
for you.

	- Dave Rivers -