Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:03:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        pat.groce@state.sd.us
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

| I couldn't get anything but 3.0 over the net.

>From what net?  FTPing to ftp.freebsd.org displays several versions, including
(on the top level) 2.2.7-RELEASE and 3.0-RELEASE.  The README file in the same
directory explained what the contents of the directory were, including
information about the -CURRENT and -STABLE branches.  I'm not sure where you
were FTPing it from, but either it was from an unofficial distribution site, or
you weren't paying much attention.

| I mean i download boot.flp and fdimage.exe, made my install disk, and 3.0 was
| what i got. DON'T BLAME ME, I DID EVERYTHING THE WWW.FREEBD.ORG TOLD ME TO
| FOR AN INSTALL.

Not everything, actually.

| Why didn't the web site or setup program warn me not to install 3.0?

Because there are some things that fall under the Common Sense rule---it's the
same reason why hammers don't have a warning telling you that forcing a hammer
up your nose may be hazardous to your health.  System administrators with any
experience at all know that crash recovery and system upgrades are two separate
things that should be done independently.  If you absolutely *have* to do an
upgrade, then try to confine it to minor revisions.  It's a basic, common-sense
rule.

As I said before, it's a little like having a system crash under NT 3.5.1, and
then expecting to recover under NT 4.0 SP 4 without any hardware or binary
compatibility issues.

| The web page at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html made it all
| sound so simple. I didn't know there were hidden issues!

Perhaps this could be attributed more to a lack of experience than any issue
with FreeBSD.  At the very least, a responsible system administrator would have
gone to extra effort to read the release notes before installing a new version
of the operating system.  Heck, you could have even asked questions@freebsd.org
before you tried the install.  Instead, you seem bent on treating the list like
complaints@freebsd.org.

| If the system isn't configured correctly its FREEBSD'S fault!

Perhaps in some cases.  Not this one.

| Why can't a fresh install even stand on two legs? So what if its out of disk
| space? Not my fault.

Well, let's see.  Either FreeBSD is responsible for you having a big enough
hard drive, or you are.  Hmmmmm.

| It should have configured the partitions correctly from the first place. What
| a joke! And you're blaming ME for the system having problems?

No.  We're blaming you for being an inflammatory twit.

| ADMIT IT! FREEBSD CAN NEVER HOLD A CANDLE TO NT. ONLY A MOUNTAIN TROLL WHO
| SPENDS HIS DAYS SLOBBERING OVER A KEYBOARD HACKING SYSTEM CODE COULD EVER
| GET IT WORKING.
|
| This os is not for the business world!

See what I mean?

Like someone said:  Let us know in four years how NT performed, and how much it
cost.  But until then, why not just go away rather than repeatedly proving that
you're not a very good system administrator?

							---Ken