Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 18:55:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How the heck do you drop DTR?

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 09:10:30AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>> However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to actually drop
>>> DTR.
>>>
>>> Looking at the source for ppp, there's something in a HangupModem()
>>> function about setting the baud rate to 0.  It looks like this
>>> does the trick, but I'm not sure it's the "right" way to do it.
>>
>> I suppose it's a matter for discussion (are you listening, Terry?) as
>> to whether it's the "right" way to do it, but that's the way it's
>> done.

Thanks, Terry, I knew you wouldn't let us down :-)

> Setting the baud rate to 0 is the traditionally correct way to drop
> DTR.  In System V.

And before.  From the UNIX Programmer's Manual, Seventh Edition
(tty(4)):

B0	0	hang up dataphone

The System V difference was STREAMS instead of the old terminal
driver, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you.

> And we all know how much like System V we want BSD to be... even
> when System V has good ideas (unlike that one).

Was there ever any other way of doing it on an open fd?

> Most modern modems ignore long breaks, in violation of 103C and
> 212A, because modem designers are idiots.

That'll be right.

One day, when I have time, remind me about the story of the IBM junior
thugs and their start-stop terminal (3101?  I forget).

Greg