Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:11:05 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Ganesh Hegde <sgurukrupa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to get the gdm started

--=-kPtodsu2E6oFi10NNMdT

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 19:29 +0530, Ganesh Hegde wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I would have preferred to title this post with "My adventures with gdm". =
But
> the subject line of this email will be useful for someone searching for
> help. Gnome is a good desktop.
>=20
> Well, I am not putting before you folk any kind of problem here. I am giv=
ing
> a solution that I discovered for the problem of trying to start gdm on my
> computer. First a little introduction. Recently I downloaded the disc 1 o=
> the i386 7.0 Release version of freebsd. Then I installed the minimal
> distribution from this disc. My goal was to have a good desktop so I deci=
ded
> to go for gnome. But, I read in the freebsd handbook that to run gnome, I
> needed to install X.org system; so I installed the X.org application that
> came with this disc. Then I installed gnome-lite using
>=20
> pkg_add -r gnome-lite

gnome2-lite does not include gdm.  If you wanted the full GNOME
distribution, you need to install gnome2.  The gnome2-lite meta-port
came about due to size constraints on the package CD.  Some people
prefer it, though, since they only want a taste of GNOME without all of
the weight of the full Desktop.

Joe