Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:32:05 -0800
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        lesstif@Hungry.COM
Subject:   Lesstif 0.83, JFC 1.0.1, JDK 1.1.5 on FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE

These are premature observations, but they are encouraging.

I just got a fresh build with the 2/25/98 FreeBSD JDK 1.1.5 diffs with
Lesstif 0.83 up and running. (My P133/64M/512kL2 system was cvsup'ed to
2.2-STABLE the previous Sunday.)

I went through all of SwingSet from JFC 1.0.1 (as I had done before)
with only one "hang" this time. I suspect Java and not Lesstif as a
potential culprit, as well, this time. This compares to about five
spectacular (and repeatable) crashes tracable to Lesstif in its last
release.

I'd like to thank the Lesstif people for requesting as much
information from me as I could deliver about the problems I reported
earlier. I hope that what little I gave them helped them to produce
this more compatible release.

With just a few minutes of testing, here are the problems I did have:

1. As mentioned above, in the "DebugGraphics" tab, I was able to
   (apparently) hang the VM after running through all of the repaints
   once and then quickly changing the checking options. It's quite
   possible that if I had waited, things would have settled down
   eventually.
2. Any dialogs that appear don't seem to be tall enough on my 1152x864
   display; buttons at the bottom of the screen are chopped off.

But no fatal signals this time! I'd say the Lesstif people have been
making a lot of progress here :-)

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. With Netscape source about to be released, I'd say the Lesstif
people have even more reason to feel that their work is of value. And
with the potential for Netscape on UNIX to work with the Java
Activator API, the Linux and *BSD porting communities should be very
pleased indeed if Lesstif continues to solidify for Java.