Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 19:28:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Check the date and time at boot

Is there any interest in some /etc/rc changes (along with a small
helper program) to check if the system date and time may be
wrong?  I did this after having my system clock wacked a couple
of times, and didn't notice it for a day or so, and thought that it
would be a good thing to have in the system by default

What I did was write a small program to check/record the system
date in a file in the root file system.  At boot time, the
program checks if the time in the file and the current time
differ by more than 24 hours (the time period is user selectable).
If it is, then /etc/rc will inform you of this, and give
you the option to fix it by running /bin/sh (or "su root" if your
console isn't secure).  I could also add a sysconfig option
to make it not stop and ask if you want to change the date for
machines that reside in unattended areas.

Once an hour cron runs the program to update the date file,
and will also issue a log message if the current time appears
to be off.

If there is interest, I'll gather everything up and submit
them.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net