Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:38:01 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

"S=F8ren Schmidt" wrote:
> =

> > there certainly is a way to work out the name.  Perhaps in the autobo=
ot
> > case you'll have to guess, but it would be nice if the current boot
> > mechanism allowed user intervention as a way to boot a kernel with an=

> > unknown bdev.
> =

> YES!! can we please have that ??

As I said before, loader can pass arbitrary parameters to the
kernel. I did not answer to the jab you replied with before because
I was waiting for Mike's comments.

In any case, all environment strings defined in the loader are (for
now) copied so kernel can use them. Pick a name, and DTRT in the
kernel. Alternatively, arguments to either "boot" or "load kernel"
commands are passed on to the kernel. Again, it's just a matter of
you using it.

The major number passed to the kernel is a product of a lot of
guesswork, because the loader has simply not enough information. I
have added a bit of code to my version of loader so you can use the
variable root_device_major_number to override the major number to be
passed to the kernel. I'm inclined to commit it, but I expect strong
objections from Mike, who wants the right thing done before we go
too far with these hacks.

(I can send this patch to you as soon as you answer to my message
concerning the problems I'm having with the ad stuff... :)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"What happened?"