Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:49:08 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lars Fredriksen <lars@fredriks-1.pr.mcs.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upping the dmesg buffer

Lars Fredriksen wrote in message ID
<199706230355.WAA00616@fredriks-1.pr.mcs.net>:
> 	Currently the MSG_BSIZE in /usr/include/sys/msgbuf.h is defined
> as 8K. Would anyone have huge objections to making this 10-12-14-16K?

I've been wanting to make a simple change for a while:

Put a (read only) variable in sysctl that allows you to read the size
of the message buffer. Then remove (or #ifndef out) the #define in
msgbuf.h and put it in the kernel config file instead. This allows it
to be tunable to local preferences, and without recompiling dmesg (you
should recompile syslogd from memory also)

Comments? Rotten fruit?

Gary