Date:      23 Jun 2002 16:01:56 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam problem on the list (Was: Re: URGENT)

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 15:56, Corey Snow wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2002, at 15:51, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>
> > The technology to virus scan and SPAM scan exists, and runs on FreeBSD.
> > My question is why isn't it deployed on the hub.freebsd.org server(s)?
> >

> I believe that the reason was mentioned in another email after the
> one you quoted- the hub.freebsd.org server is running at its capacity
> limit, and a hardware upgrade would be likely necessary to support
> virus scanning all the mail. That's understandable, so unless someone
> finds a way to provide additional hardware/money (and I can't at the
> moment) we need to look at other ways to accomplish our goal, which
> is to reduce the amount of spam/viruses to the list, or at least to
> limit the amount to a dull roar. :)
Where is the current hardware configuration posted, and what does the
community expect it would take to implement the appropriate protection?

I can donate something, and might be able to get others as well.

I use FreeBSD *A LOT* and recommend it to my consulting/contract
clients.

> > I've gotten more virii this weekend to the FreeBSD lists I subscribe to
> > than any other place.
> >

> Yeah, it was pretty ugly for a bit there. But it seems to be calmer
> now. I'm more interested in fixing the problem than the blame at this
> point. :)
I agree.  It's not a biggie, I have the virus scanning on my inbound
mail server.