Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:56:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, ponds!atrad.adelaide.edu.au!msmith
Cc:        ponds!freefall.freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers, ponds!uswest.net!greg, ponds!brasil.moneng.mei.com!jgreco, ponds!ocean.campus.luth.se!karpen, ponds!ponds!rivers
Subject:   Re: Another data point in the daily panics...

Everyone -

 As an example of something that crashes 2.1.5 (fairly quickly, I
may add) and will not likely be determined by 'crashme'.  I offer
the following shell script.

 This shell script has the other attribute that it behaves somewhat
like a news server that's frequently expiring and getting news batches
24 hours a day (i.e. deleting a lot of files and altering others).

 This was reported against 2.2-current about a month ago.  If you
run about eight instances of this shell script in the same directory;
you're machine will reboot... [I just got through recovering from
the reboot myself.]

 I don't think it has anything to do with my particular problem,
since the panic isn't for the same reason.  I just wanted to show
it as an example of a similar type of problem that crashme would not
diagnose.

 If anyone has access to a LINUX box - I'd be interested in hearing
what happens if you perform the same test there...

	- Dave Rivers -

	#!/bin/sh
	mkdir loser
	while true