Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick McGee <rickm@imbris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   aliase file and flock()

Hello all,

BTW, I don't monitor this list, but I do monitor security.
So please respond to my email address as well as the list and I'll do the
same.

Machine running 3.5 (intel) and this also happens on the alpha (4.0) as
well. We centralize all functions and distribute out to other machines.
The aliase file is a file that is copied from one machine and rebuilt on
the intented machine.

Problem, about every third day the machine blows the aliases.db file.
Claim by the system is that the aliase file is locked as an excutive priv
and not share.

When newaliases attempts to rebuild, it creates a 0 byte file, claiming
the exec lock can not rebuild and causes sendmail to go into a loop. Thus
the machine hits loads as high as 20.00! Yes that is correct, 20.00.

The only way to clear the lock is to bring th system down to single user
or reboot. If single user, ctl D back to multi user.

Question is, where is flock locking this file at?
I believe it must be in stack and not in a file. It isn't in any of the
standard file locations.

I haven't come up for reason why the system thinks this file thinks it is
locked after the file is CPed. Also tried move for grins and got the same
error.

Rick