Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:34:49 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing tape changer with USB disk drives.

On Jun 16, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE on a file server and until recently used a
> Tape Changer for backups. I'm considering my options for a new
> backup solution. I'm actually thinking of ditching tape and using an
> externally attached USB or Firewire disk drive.

External drives make nice, fast external hot-standby backups.  They
are lousy for making long-term backups that you can take offsite,
though.  I can and have restored decade old 20/40GB and 40/80GB
DLTtape IV cartridges, and have happily moved to a 220GB sDLT drive.

I've got a few 10-year-old SCSI drives that still work, but I've yet
to find a commodity PATA IDE or SATA IDE brand of drives which make it
much over 5 years, and a large percentage have issues trying to get
much past 3 years of heavy usage.

> My experimentation isn't giving me good feelings about doing this
> with FreeBSD. To start this off I installed an Adaptec USB 2.0
> interface into my server. In the time that I've been working with it
> I notice that it periodically bogs down and that it has the
> potential to panic the kernel and cause a reboot. I recognize that
> this could be:

While I really liked the AHA 1540/2940 controllers, I'm dubious about
Adaptec's USB controllers.  I've got a few external drives with both
USB2 and Firewire 400 interfaces, and they are faster and more
reliable going over Firewire.  YMMV...

Regards,
--
-Chuck