Date:      Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:44:52 +0300
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@datamax.bg>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@magnesium.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The right way to depend on a package's extra feature

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:24:12AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:

=2E..
> I.e. I have both devel/svk and devel/subversion installed. Now, I need
> devel/subversion because other software depends on it, so I build it
> with perl bindings by myself. However, devel/svk insists on depending
> on devel/subversion-perl because it wants the perl bindings -> not
> good...

Hmmz, devel/svk should find ${SITE_PERL}/${PERL_ARCH}/SVN/Core.pm
(installed by devel/subversion with perl bindings) and not insist on
depending on devel/subversion-perl...

>=20
> I don't see a way out except extending the DEPENDS mechanism with
> optional flags, or at least checking of /var/db/ports/*/options
> (for OPTIONS enabled ports).
>=20

extending the DEPENDS mechanism is what I thought also...

looking for /var/db/ports/*/options is not universal, because a lot of
ports have WITH_SOMETHING without defining OPTIONS.

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ--