Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 23:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world question

> Why is a make depend done as part of make world?  Unless I'm missing
> something, all of the binaries would be rebuilt anyway due to the .o's
> not being there, it is a waste of time.  Can one safely omit it for
> "clean" builds on "virgin" /usr/src trees?

Yes, one can safely ommit it (unless more cruft has slipped in, as in
the past certain .c files created from other files occured during the
depend phase only, these have been cleaned up last time I checked
[right around 2.1R time].)

> The order that is there now should cause the includes to be installed
> first, and then the libraries built and installed and then all the
> binaries build and installed.  In this case, what does depend buy you?

Nothing, _if_ that is where you stop...

> What subtle thing, if any, am I missing?

After a make world it is easy to go in and work on things and just
type ``make'', unless you modify something that effects the dependencies,
then you'll have to rebuild the .depend file.

I added the depend phase way way back in the 386BSD Patch kit days
when ``make world'' use to be a shell script.  At that time it was an
absoulte requirement to get the system to build properly.  Since then
many many many things have changed, and the depend phase can most
likely be safely removed (or made optional) for those who are just
running make worlds all the time.  You do need the .depend stuff around if
you like to short circuit make world and do you own things (I don't very
often run make world on my personal systems, mostly just make all install.)