Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:59:12 -0400
From:      "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@tysdomain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   numerous questions: ssh and jails, installation with YASR support, migration, and development

Hello all:
I had a few questions. I'm sorry for the long email, but I wanted to
lump them all together so I wasn't sending 90 emails.

1) I have a bunch of different jails configured on my BSD system. right
now I have PF doing RDR from port 30000+ to the port on the internal
jail IP. Obviously having 90 different ssh ports is a bit messy, is
there a way around this? Can I somehow set up SSH on the host to let me
log into the jail provided a username and password?
2) I would really like to pull together an installation with YASR
support to make the installation self-voicing. Can someone give me some
ideas in terms of what would be needed? How would I get the YASR package
into freebsd installation, and how might I go about detecting a default
sound card.
3) I'm starting to migrate my Linode services over to BSD. Is there a
way using DNS to migrate web first, then mail? I don't want to shut
everything off until I can move web over, make sure it works then move
mail. Is there a failsafe solution in case my postfix is broken for the
mail to fallback to the Linux server? How have people done this in the past?
4) I would really like to start contributing code and patches to
FreeBSD. As of right now, I don't have a bsd system at home that I can
reinstall and upgrade without having to worry about breaking things. Is
there perhaps a way to do an installation over SSH or something so that
I can install FreeBSD in a vm? What do people use for development
systems? I thought about buying a cheap $10 server from Arpnetworks, but
money is a bit tight at the moment for me.

Thanks in advance for the help,

--
Take care,
Ty