Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:54:56 +1000
From:      "Hallam Oaks P/L list account" <maillist@oaks.com.au>
To:        " >, "Richard.Stanaford" <richard@erinet.com>"
Subject:   Re: Large-scale scan of SNMP ports

>Hi.. I am just curious... how did you know your IP's were scanned?  I am
>building a production FreeBSD box, intending it to be an IRC server, and

By default, I deny everything via IPFW. The only stuff I allow is the few
services I want to expose. The rules that get the most hits (such as accesses
to the NetBIOS ports) I deny without logging. All other disallowed accesses
are denied with logging.

So, since the console sits next to me, when I get accesses of this sort, the
screensaver clicks off and the report comes up on the console (meaning I
notice it straight away if I happen to be at my desk), plus of course it goes
to the syslog.

If you're planning any sort of public server I really recommend you spend
time working on your rc.firewall. It can be time consuming to set up nicely
(particularly if you're using the same machine as a gateway for an internal
LAN, as I am) but it's well worth the time spent.

-- Chris
   Hallams Oaks P/L