Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:19:03 -0600
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: enable/disable softupdates in rc init idea

> As you say, this is a "one-shot thing". There is the problem with
> including this in /rc/ (like I said): "It works ok but this method is
> *stupid* because we need to activate softupdates *only once* and not every
> time that we reboot/start the machine.
>

> Thanks very much for your and all replies,
>
> Nuno Teixeira

I think you misunderstood the point:  it's a one-shot thing, so you manually
edit it into the rc file (or rc.early that someone else suggested), you
reboot to make it take effect, then you manually remove it from the rc file.
Not that there would be any downside I can think of to just running the
tunefs command every time you boot, the performance penalty for doing so is
probably measurable in microseconds-per-boot.

On remote servers I administer I've set softupdates on without even
rebooting.  Just unmount the filesystems, turn it on, and remount them.
That works fine for everything except the root filesystem, and for some
reason I've never felt that turning on softupdates on / was a good idea.
(My / filesystems tend to have nothing in them except kernel, modules, and
/etc, so I can't imagine it making a huge performance difference anyway.)

-- Ian