Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:18:48 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Aled Morris <aledm@qix.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: serial console com1 to com1 == login race condition?

Aled Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >My money is on the hacked CR-greedy getty, though...
>
> Why not bring up ppp or slip on the line permanently 10.0.0.1 -> 10.0.0.2
>
> Maybe you could bind a standalone telnetd to that IP only?

The purpose is to handle things that can only be handled by a
console, not a network.

Like typing in "boot -s kernel.old".

If it could be handled over a network, we wouldn't be talking
about serial consoles or cables in the first place.

If they were local, we wouldn't be talking about serial
consoles or cables in the first place.

So this is all about how to be cheap with two boxes and avoid
having to buy a termial server by using "the buddy system".

-- Terry