Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:14:03 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: second post: elf patches for -current

On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 06:46:10PM -0700, John Polstra wrote:

> ElfKit is almost obsolete, because just about everything you need
> is now in -current.  You can build the FreeBSD compiler for ELF by
> specifying "BINFORMAT=elf".  The standard libc in -current (and I
> think in -2.2 also) can be built for ELF, and it works just fine.
> You don't have to do anything special; just compile it with the
> ELF tools.

If I define BINFORMAT=elf in /etc/make.conf ...
can I do a make world then ? Or do I have to be very careful
about that ?

Are there any restrictions if IŽd decide, to give ELF a try ?

> The current version of GNU binutils has all the FreeBSD-ELF support
> in it.  Just configure it like this and then build it:
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/elf --host=i386-unknown-freebsd \
> 	    --target=i386-unknown-freebsdelf

Do I need the binutils if I do a complete make world ?
Only want to make sure, not to screw up my system within
a few minutes ;-)

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD