Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:01:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        otterr@telocity.com (Otter)
Cc:        zaid500@hotmail.com (Zaid Dashti), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop

Otter wrote
>> }Hi
>> }i installed the FreeBSD v4.0 on my laptop and everything it's ok
>> }except my modem and network card (pc-card(pcmcia))
>> }the com port of my modeom under win98 it's com3 = cuaa2 under freebsd
>> }but it doesn't work and i think my modem is windmodem.

	Just curious, but why didn't you go with FreeBSD 4.2?  It supports
	a lot more laptop devices than 4.0 does?

>> }2- my network card is Genius "PCMCIA" "10/100MB". how i can
>> }identify it
>> }under freebsd ?
>> Look in /etc/pccard.conf to see if it's listed as a supported device.
>> If you don't have an /etc/pccard.conf, then you need to copy it over
>> from /usr/share/examples/etc/pccard.conf.sample

	Actually, under 4.x, the pccard.conf file was moved to
	/etc/defaults.	You only need to create a /etc/pccard.conf if you
	want to override the settings in the /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
	file.  So, look in your /etc/defaults/pccard.conf to see if
	your network card is in there.	If not, you may have to get
	a different network card too.  If you do end up getting a new
	network card, make sure it is a pccard (16bit) and not a cardbus
	(32bit) card.  Cardbus is just now being added to current,
	and it is not available in 4.x-STABLE yet.

	Good luck.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com