Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:49:17 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   es1371 Sound Card

I've been having strange problems, and I'm assuming they are related to
my sound card. I have an es1371 (the box said SB16 PCI). I have included
'device pcm0' in my kernel config, and the sound card is actually
working. I am using 4.0-RELEASE.

However, some oddities are occuring that may be related. I'm thinking
that I might need more than the above line in my configuration. First of
all, xmms is segfaulting an awful lot. About every third mod file it
will crash. I am using the OSS sound driver in xmms. Second, the KDE
audio keeps cutting out. Sometimes a system sound will play and other
times it won't. If I open up the system sounds dialog, select a wav
file, then press 'test', the sound will play. But pressing it again will
do nothing. Then afterwards it will work again. These problems occur in
both the -RELEASE and -CURRENT packages.

I know that the pcm drivers are relatively new, and I'm wondering if I
have more tweaking to do, or just need to wait for future incarnations
of pcm.

David