Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:27:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More IBM Netfinity 3500 SMP problem

Tom Duffey writes:
| Thanks for clearing up the confusion regarding optional SMP kernel
| paramaters.
|
| Unfortunately, my 3500 with dual PIII 733's still fails to boot if I
| compile the kernel with "options SMP" and "options APIC_IO."  Is there
| anything out of the ordinary that must be done to make SMP work with the
| Netfinity 3500 M20's?

FYI the dual CPU IBM IntelliStations M Pro 6868 needed an upgraded BIOS
to work with SMP.  It was a BIOS error noted in the release notes for
the BIOS stating problems with SMP.  The IntellisStation use the
Intel 840 chipset.  Prior 6889 used the BX chipset and we just fine.
Since IBM rebrands the same hardware under different names you could
be using the same board and then need the BIOS update.

Doug A.