Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jay Sachs <sachs@bull.cs.williams.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha SA2 audio & luigi's drivers

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Jay Sachs wrote:

> I'm trying to play sounds using the pcm driver on a PnP Yamaha SA2.  I
> do get sound using e.g. rplay, but I also get console messages like
>
>     tsleep returns 4
>     tsleep returns 4
>     tsleep returns 4
>     tsleep returns 4
>     tsleep returns 4
>     tsleep returns 4
>     How strange... mss_intr with no reason!
>
> and
>
>     timeout flushing dbuf_out.chan, cnt 0x1abe flags 0x00000041

I get these sorts of things when watching MBone sessions.  Not the last
one though.  Make sure you're outputting to the right device.  From the
looks of things you need to rewire /dev/MAKEDEV to generate symlinks to
snd1.

Make this change to /dev/MAKEDEV:

Around line 975 there is the line:
 if [ $unit = "0" ] ; then
And 8 lines below that is the corresponding
 fi

Remove both of those, save & quit.

Now run

/dev/MAKEDEV snd1

Now try playing your sounds -- they'll probably work. :-)

Doug White