Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:38:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-DA possible?

In lists.freebsd.scsi you write:

>> > I would like to do some digital audio extraction (with my
>> > Toshiba 3701 SCSI CDROM reader) under FreeBSD-2.2.
>> > Has anyone already done it?
>>
>>     Yes, I've done it with a plextor PX-4XC with the 0xd8 scsi
>> command. The result was higly jittered but this can be worked around
>> (if time permits).
>>
>>     Interesting: a support person at Plextor wrote to me that it
>> was impossible de extract CDDA frames over SCSI but I've done it with
>> a vendor command wich was introduced in Sony drives (I think).
>>
>Do you have a short piece of code? Or a script (for the scsi command)?
>My knowledge of SCSI is still somewhat limited :-(

>To the jittering: I have read in some newsgroups that the earlier
>Plextor drives (4x)  had problems with extracting audio, but that
>these problems disppeared in the 8x and 12x drives.

Check out cdd on ftp.scnc.k12.mi.us/pub/misc it will read CDDA from
plextor/toshiba and possibly HP just peachy keen, with jitter correction.

And your right, on the 8x they finally got it jitter frree, but its nothing to
count on.

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu