Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:11:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
To:        scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, pgsql-hackers@hub.org, pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [HACKERS] urgent: pgsql 6.3 FreeBSD port update trouble, --with-tcl doesn't work

> 	Odd, since my testing has always been done on FreeBSD-current, and
> I've already done a couple of builds under FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE :(
>
> 	But, looking at your patches for initdb.sh, I've applied them, as
> I think that it provides a non-shell dependent solution, which I think is
> cleaner...
>
> 	I'm just about to do a build on my system, to make sure
> everythingis okay before I bundle...but the new version should be up (and
> announced) later this evening...

I recommend against applying the patch.

First, it is very late in the patch game to be applying an initdb patch.
Second, the original code should work fine, and the top of the file
says #/bin/sh, so we don't need a shell-independent solution.  The rest
of the file uses /bin/sh commands so it will simply not work with
another shell.  I suggest the original user has some problem with their
stderr handling in their OS configuration.