Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:43:32 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Trent Nelson <tpnelson@echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump/restore question.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:05:26 +0800  Trent Nelson wrote:
 +------------------
 | 	I want to change the working size of the slice I've allocated to
 | FreeBSD from 4GB to 8GB (the whole disk). I'm not confident recreating
 | all the relevant partitions using newfs(8) and would rather rely on the
 | 4.1-RELEASE install CD I have.
 +------------------

Do I understand that you are changing the slice under your whole freebsd
install?

An option might be to re-label the "other" 4Gig slice and create
a freebsd partition there for one of your larger directories.  Move
/home to this new partition for example.

But if you really want to rebuild everything it might be just as easy to do
a complete re install then selectively recover stuff from your backups.

YMMV
chris

PS.  You can trust the procedure shown in the description of the
-r option in the restore manual. In that context "Pristine" means
newfs'ed but used for anything else yet. The -r option restores
the contents of the dump without checking to see if the filesystem
is used for anything else.

--
    Chris Fedde