Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 07:40:38 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd enhancements (fwd)

Darren Reed wrote:
> allowing different programs to bind to different IP addresses
> (on a multi-ip# box) is something inetd does not do and can't
> handle with packet filters and requires tcpd/fwtk type solution.

A single instance of the stock inetd could not handle selecting specific
servers for for specific ports, but you can bind it to a specific address via
the -a flag, and so handle multiple server lists via multiple instances.
Aside from the extra process overhead, this actually strikes me as cleaner
since you can do things like kill the public interface inetd during maint and
the like.

(If you are running processes from inetd with the wait parameter, than your
overhead does goes up, but in a firewall, I'm not sure want many of those you
want running anyway.)

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com