Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:12:40 -0700
From:      Lou Katz <lou@metron.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to make a bootable, NON-ISO CD

I would like to make a CD that can be booted in an X86, but which does
not have an ISO9660 file system on it.

I have established the following:
	I can make a FreeBSD filesystem via a loopback device. DD
	the file to cdrecord. This will make a perfectly good CD
	which can be mounted read only. I can boot to this from a
	floppy.

	I can also make an El-Torito bootable ISO9660 CD with the
	above.

	What I want to do (mostly for some slight security-through-
	obscurity) is to make a bootable CD with some other filesystem
	instead of ISO9660, so that it is not trivially mountable on
	Windows machines.

	So, does anyone know how to do this? Having two filesystems
	on the CD (an minimal El-Torrito ISO9660) which can be
	booted and then mount the rest of the CD is OK.

	It is possible that there is no way - I just want to know.

Thanks to all.

--

-=[L]=-