Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:32:41 -0500
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mlt <mlt@linkzone.com>
Subject:   RE : Copying DOS files to UNIX

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:22:56 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
> Subject: Re: Copying UNIX files from a dos partition

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Cary Marshall wrote:

>> How can I copy UNIX files from a dos partition to a UNIX partition?

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

> Unless there is a trick I don't know about this is not possible.  You
> either boot up in dos or FreeBSD but you can't read across partitions.

Well it depends upon whether or not the dos partition is
a primary partition or an extended partition.

For a primary partition (ie C:) just mount it as an msdos file
system then you can quite merrily use 'cp' to copy either way
of course the file naming conventions for MSDOS apply if you go
from UNIX to MSDOS.

To mount the DOS partition you need a mountpoint (I created a directory
/dos) then issue the following command :-

mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s1 /dos

The above is s SCSI drive so change the device to whatever yours is.

If you need the facility on a fairly regular basis then add the following
to the file '/etc/fstab' and it will be done automatically when you boot
up.

#Device         Mountpoint   FStype   Options  Dump   Pass#
/dev/sd0s1    /dos                msdos    rw             0              0

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.