Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:05:09 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        "reggie@aa.net" <reggie@aa.net>
Cc:        "'Anatoly Vorobey'" <mellon@pobox.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: vnode_pager: *** WARNING *** stale FS code in system

You, Reginald S. Perry, were spotted writing this on Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 12:21:53PM -0800:
> On Monday, March 09, 1998 9:46 AM, Anatoly Vorobey
> [SMTP:mellon@pobox.com] wrote:
> >
> > P.S. In fact, the VFS framework (more precisely, one of its
> > predecessors, Sun's vnode system) is mentioned in at least one
> > book on Java as an example to what pains these poor C programmers
> > must go in order to create OOP-like FS interface, and how easily
> > you would do that in Java ;)
> >

> Actually, wouldn't it be a pain in the butt to do unionFS in Java
> because of the lack of multiple inheritance?

Not necessarily, since you actually have one "interface" (i.e. VFS);
you don't really need multiple inheritance, you need to control
several objects of the same class in your implementation. So you
lose inheritance and use containment: you have private members which
are handles to the FSes you overlay upon.

I won't comment, on the other hand, on wisdom of doing _any_ FS
in Java... :)

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/