Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:53:49 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Mark Nielsen <men@auto.med.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, Mark Nielsen <men@auto.med.ohio-state.edu>
Subject:   Re: Hello! I have an installation question.

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Mark Nielsen wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 onto my computer.
>
> After I booted, I wanted to do some post installation steps.
> I made the /usr/ports directory and copied over the links from the
> second cdrom.
>
> The problem with installing packages is that one cdrom has the binaries
> and the other cd-rom contains make files.
>
> When I select packages in the post installation, the /stand/sysinstall
> program will attempt to install programs even if the wrong cd-rom is in.
> For example, I select to install "lynx" and "netscape". Well, lynx gets
> installed just fine, but netscape does not because it is on the second
> cdrom in the ports subdirectory.
>
> This is reall annoying. How am I to know which packages is on which cd
> without manually listing the files on the cdroms?

You need to understand the difference between packages and ports.
Packages are precompiled and are on the first disk. Ports are just make
files and patches to sources or binaries that are downloaded over the
net. Some of the software (like lynx) can be installed both ways, while
other (like Netscape) cannot be distributed as packages due to licensing
consideration.

> Also, I could get XFree86 to compile correctly. It would have been really
> great if the binaries were pre-compiled. But, apparently they were not.
> Bummer.

XFree86 does come compiled. If you tell the installation program to
install X it will do it for you just fine.

> I am really impressed with the concepts behind the structure of FreeBSD,
> but I don't want to have an operating system where the installation program
> doesn't really work that well -- and I would like XFree86 to be pre-compiled.

There are two answers to this:
1. New versions are coming, and by what I understand have some of the
bugs in the installation program fixed.

2. If you don't like something - change it. This software is written by
volunteers, and most of the time they fix what *they* believe is broken.
If you find something not to your taste, you're welcome to try and
improve on it.

> I also was able to get netscape installed by putting in the second cd and
> going to ports/www/netscape2 and typing in "make". Real easy. I would
> just like to be able to not have to do it manually for ever single program.
>
> Mark

Nadav