Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:08:44 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

"Brandon D. Valentine" wrote:

| Personally I prefer to use tar anyway.  A tar archive
| is restorable on most any unix without requiring a vendor/filesystem
| specific restore binary be available.  That's one less point of failure
| in restoring the backups.  The only place where tar really won't cut it
| is when you're using special filesystem features not traditionally
| supported by unix, such as filesystem ACLs.

There are lots of places where tar won't cut it: where you want
speed in incremental backups; where your backups are backups
rather than archives; where you don't wish to leave footprints
all through your file systems; and more.  If you're making an
archive of data rather than a backup of a system, then tar has
its uses; if you're using broken systems like Linux, then you
may be forced to use inadequate tools like tar for backups as
well as archives.