Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:11:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP status of networking subsystem?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Just a quick question..  Where do we stand on bringing the networking
> subsystem out from under Giant?
>
> The mbuf system is soon to be safe, thanks to Alan Cox, so this allows
> INTR_MPSAFE drivers.  However, swi:net is still under Giant, as are
> many of the important socket functions (sendto(), recvfrom(), etc).

netgraph has been partly done for a while but I need to do some more
to complete it.. I need to add an 'MP-safe' timer/callback fascility
(that can be used instead of nodes rolling hteir own and I need
a fascility to assit hardware-triggered events queue data to the
netgraph part of themselves, (i.e. move under the netgraph umbrella).