Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:28:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger)
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, scrappy@ki.net, current@FreeBSD.org, smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations...

> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
>
> > almost impossible to get right now, and because of that, have gone way
> > back up in price.  Don't bother with a 180 -- wrong bus speed
> > (remember, always multiples of 33 1/3).  The P6 166MHz with the 512K
> > cache is supposed to be a good chip, if you can get it cheap (and
> > faster than the P6/180-256K).
>
> I've always wonderd if the P6/150 (I've got a price of $309 on it) could
> be overclocked to 166 to get the 33mhz bus speed :-)  Given that most
> Intel CPU's can be overclocked by 10-20% with a low failure rate, it might
> be worth toying with.  Of course, if reliability is more important than
> price, don't.

Though many have reported success with overclocking, realize Intel marked
that part a ``150'' for good reason, either it failed on the ATE equipment
at 166, or they already had more 166 chips than they needed out of production.

Recently they have added some changes to the chips marked ``iPP'' on
the bottom of the chip so that they will not work if overclocked, especially
on the 75Mhz parts, since yeilds are such that all chips now run atleast
at a speed of 100Mhz without any problems.  Basically smart (depending
on how you want to look at it, that could also be ``dumb'') OEM's and
resellers where purchasing 75Mhz chips cheaply and overclocking them
to 100.  Intel fixed that cost saving factor :-).

> > machine.  So, it might not give you as much absolute punch per dollar,
> > but it might be possible to do dual-P5 for less overall dollars (and
> > you could probably get the chips right away).  Definitely try to get
> > 512K cache(s) if you go with a dual-P5.
>
> Unless price is critical, which I don't believe to be the case.  The Tyan
> Tomcat II (at $250 for an SMP motherboard based on the HX chipset) has
> problems if you run dual Pentiums, 512K cache, and speed greater than 120
> Mhz.  Drop any one of the three, and the problem goes away.  The problem
> may be fixed, I haven't heard, and wouldn't trust anyone to get me a fixed
> MB even if they had.
>
> anyway, neither of these should be major issues in this case, but some
> other speed freak on a budget may be following this conversation.  I've
> found a FIC Natoma motherboard for $260, and a P6/150 for $309.  Yes, I am
> quite tempted.  Only the low memory bandwidth of the Natoma chipset
> (compared to the Triton HX chipset) has made me hesitate.

What low memory bandwidth on the Natoma???  That thing smokes when comparied
to a 430HX chipset.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD